SEPTA Accident Lawyer
If you’re debating whether or not to hire a SEPTA accident lawyer, there are some key things you need to know that could impact your decision. In this article, I’m going to cover six benefits of using an attorney instead of going it alone. Some of the critical areas where attorneys can provide insight include knowledge of the judicial system, dealing with insurance companies and adjusters, targeting who to sue, getting around artificial caps, and making sure you don’t get trapped into being held responsible for the accident or your own injuries. After reading this article, you’ll have a clearer perspective on how a SEPTA accident lawyer can help you,
What Is SEPTA?
As you probably already know, SEPTA is an acronym for the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority. It supplies public transportation for a large portion of Pennsylvania as well as parts of Delaware and New Jersey. The types of transportation it provides include trains, trolleys, buses, and subways.
SEPTA is a huge operation that has a lot of heavy equipment and many moving parts. As a result, it should come as no surprise that accidents and injuries do, and will continue to, occur.
So, if you’ve arrived at this web site because you were involved in an accident or injured by SEPTA property or equipment, you’re smart to investigate your options. If you haven’t done so already, the first thing I would advise you to do is to get checked out by your doctor. Even apparently minor injuries could blossom into something major in days, weeks, or months down the road. So you want to make sure your injuries are documented as soon as possible. Then you should consult a SEPTA accident lawyer.
6 Reasons To Hire A SEPTA Accident Lawyer
1. Lawyers know the game. Civil and injury law can get pretty complicated. Having an attorney by your side gives you instant access to all of the rules and regulations that could affect your claim. A SEPTA accident attorney will also be able to listen to the circumstances of your accident and let you know if it should be settled or if it would be worth going to trial, if the defendant doesn’t pay you the money you deserve.
2. Some claims adjusters are sneaky. As soon as you let SEPTA and their insurance company know you’ve been involved in an accident, they will assign an adjuster to your case. That person will contact you to gather information and assess what happened. But remember, the adjuster works for the insurance company. Their goal is to make sure that your claim goes away or is settled for as little as possible.
Adjusters take different approaches to get what they want. Some will call you and attempt to become your new best friend. Others may try to coerce you into taking a deal. Your SEPTA accident lawyer can stop that nonsense.
3. You need to know who to sue. It’s not always obvious as to who you need to go after for the accident. And no one is going to go out of their way to give you the answer. For example, in a medical malpractice case, should you sue the doctor or the hospital? If you don’t know who, you could end up chasing your tail. Even then, the defendant’s attorney will have pegged you as a novice and attempt to confuse you.
In other cases, you might know exactly who is at fault, but what if they tell you that they have very little money or assets. Will you know that you could have sued their employer or their homeowners insurance? Heck, even they might not know these types of things. So a SEPTA accident lawyer may be able to identify parties who are indirectly liable.
4. Some states have artificial caps. There are states that have established maximum amounts of money that you can get from certain injuries or accidents. In some instances, these so called caps can be gotten around depending on your injuries and circumstances. So before you take the word of the insurance company, it might be a good idea to run this by a good SEPTA accident lawyer.
5. You could be blamed. So it’s clear as day to you who was at fault in the accident, right? You think they should just admit to the wrongdoing and give you the money you’re asking for. Unfortunately, it almost never works out that way. Insurance companies have a beehive of attorneys and they will challenge every word you say in an effort to kill your case.
One of the tactics they use is to shift the blame. They will say you were reckless, weren’t paying attention, or doing something you weren’t supposed to be doing. It’s your fault, they will scream. They will twist your words against you. It’s not an ordeal you want to tackle without the representation of a SEPTA accident lawyer on your side.
6. Your bills could be challenged. The insurance companies know that medical expenses are one of the key factors that determine how much money you will get from your accident. In general, the higher your medical expenses, the greater your insurance claim. So, the insurance companies and their attorneys will likely challenge the amount of these bills. They may say that some of the costs are frivolous, excessive, or unnecessary. They’ll want their doctor to examine you.
So if your injuries aren’t properly documented and you fail to keep all medical appointments, it could hurt your case.
In conclusion, I think it’s pretty clear as to why you should consider hiring a SEPTA accident lawyer. We know the law inside and out, are used to dealing with adjusters, know exactly who to sue, will get you the maximum settlement, and protect you from overly aggressive insurance companies and their attorneys. Give us a call to see how we can help.